Leave a gift in your will


There are over 700,000 people with Autism in the UK.  If their families are included, that’s around 2.8m people who affected by ASD.  At Sycamore Trust UK, we can’t help them all, although we’d like to!  We operate within the London Boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Having and Redbridge, providing vital services and support for individuals with ASD and their families.

Our funding is a mixture of public and private, but in recent years, the amount of money made available from the public purse has been reduced, meaning we need to look at other ways to fund our vital services.

One way we look for help is in donations from the general public or from families of people who have been helped by our services.  One of the most generous donations that can be made is in the form of a legacy, or will.  This means that when someone passes away, they leave a sum of money to a charity. This can be a tribute to a loved one that they lost, or simply a thank you, recognising that they have been helped in some way by a particular charity.

It is important for everyone to have a will.  A will is a good way to plan for the needs of your family and loved ones. By leaving a gift to Sycamore Trust UK, you can also help to ensure that in the future we can continue to support families, educate the community and empower individuals of all ages to flourish and become valued members of the community.

Having a properly prepared, up-to-date will is the only way to make sure that the people and causes that you care about are properly looked after. When deciding what to leave in your will, it is vital that you seek the advice of a solicitor.  We will not recommend how to write your will; you must get professional help.

The Law Society of England & Wales (www.lawsociety.org.uk) can help you find a local solicitor.

If you do not have a Will, you would be deemed to have died intestate which means that your assets will be passed to certain members of your family depending on the order of priority under the rules of intestacy as stated in the Administration of Estates Act 1925.  In many cases, this is what is intended, but there are occasions when family can be hard to find.  If a person passes away without any next of kin, their assets may go to the government. 

Questions & Answers

What does estate mean?

Your net estate is the total value of everything that you own, after any outstanding liabilities have been paid

What are my assets?

Your assets are the things that you own that have a value; such as your house, savings, pensions, jewellery or shares

Who is my executor?

The executor of your estate is the person that you choose to make sure the terms of your will are adhered to.  This person might be a relative, like a brother or sister or it can be a professional person, such as a solicitor.  

I want to make a joint, or mirror will, for my partner and I

Often a solicitor will be able to offer joint, also known as mirror wills at a lower price than two separate wills. Moving house, marriage or a change in family circumstance can prompt people to review their plans.

I want to create a trust fund in my will to look after the interests of a vulnerable person - can you help?

Because we are not solicitors, nor qualified in this area of law; we can't advise on this. Please obtain suitable professional advice in respect of these type of trusts.

I have inherited some money, or property and I’m worried I might now be liable for inheritance tax on my estate reducing the amount left for my family and good causes?

We don’t offer any financial, or tax planning advice. You may want to consult a specialist advisor to help you plan your will. 

What is inheritance tax?

Inheritance tax is payable when your total assets are worth over £325,000. This figure goes up to £650,000 for a married couple.  If your assets are worth more, you will be liable for 40% inheritance tax from the portion of your estate that is above the threshold. This means that a single person who had assets of £500,000 (perhaps from the sale of a house) would be liable to pay 40% of the £175,000 above the IHT threshold.  In this case, the tax bill would be £70,000.  Once again, you should seek advice from a solicitor if you think you are liable for inheritance tax. Check the HMRC website for more information at www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax

Can I reduce my inheritance tax?

Gifts to charities are completely tax free and are taken out of your estate before any tax is calculated. By remembering a charity such as the Sycamore Trust in your will you may be able to reduce or eliminate your inheritance tax liability. 

What type of gift can I leave in my will?

You can leave a percentage of your estate (a residuary gift) or a specific amount of money (a pecuniary gift) or you can leave a specific gift, such as shares or jewellery.

Can I nominate a particular service provided by the Sycamore Trust to benefit from my gift?

You can select a particular project or initiative that we provide, but don’t worry if you can’t think of one; we have a number of programmes that need funds.  If there is a project you’d like to support, please let us know at enquiries@sycamoretrust.org.uk

I would like to leave a gift in my will. How can I be sure that the Sycamore Trust will benefit from my legacy?

If you decide to leave us a gift we’d be very grateful, so when you do, please ensure that you use our full name and address, which is as follows; Sycamore Trust UK, 27/29 Woodward Road, Dagenham RM9 4SJ.  It’s also important to use our charity registration number; 1116697

What is the next step?

If you’d like to leave us a gift in your will, you need to ensure that your will is up to date.  If you already have one, you need to contact the firm of solicitors that produced your will, or if you don’t have one, get in touch with the law society at www.lawsociety.org.ukand they will help you find a local solicitor who can help.

Sycamore Trust UK
27/29 Woodward Road, Dagenham, RM9 4SJ
020 8517 9317
020 8262 5330


Charity registered in England & Wales – reg no: 1116697