The Parenting Pathways project is for adults with learning disabilities who have recently become parents or who are about to become parents.
Clients are referred to the project by social workers, GP’s, Children’s Centres or self-referral. Clients need to meet the LD eligibility criteria. Click here for an overview of the learning disabilities criteria; https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/learning-disabilities/
Potential outcomes include an improvement in health & knowledge, and better life chances through learning parenting skills and making better parenting choices as well as building confidence and self-esteem.
The project is supported by the National Lottery.
Aims for the project
- Provide and support adults with learning disabilities to be aware of sexual health issues
- Support parents with learning disabilities to access parenting education to empower them with the skills to be effective parents
- Provide guidance, education and support to enable parents to improve their parenting
- Support expectant parents to have improved experiences when attending appointments with professionals
- Support people with learning disabilities to have safe relationships and better understanding of parenting
Parenting Pathways – two programmes
Programme One- Parenting education/support
Programme Two - Sexual health, relationships & sexuality